On Friday, January 20th, President Trump issued a memorandum to place a freeze on new or pending federal regulations to allow the Trump Administration time for review. Covington & Burling, LLP issued an alert to help explain the scope of this action and analyze its potential impact on key food regulatory initiatives.
To summarize the document:
· The regulatory freeze is not expected to impact FSMA regulations or the Nutrition Facts Label final rule.
· The regulatory freeze MAY impact:
- USDA National Organic Program for Livestock and Avian Living Conditions
- FDA proposed rule to remove GRAS from partially hydrogenated menhaden oil and rapeseed oil
- USDA rule on GMO labeling
- Future guidance documents related to FSMA and the Nutrition Facts Label
AIB will continue to keep our clients informed as the impact of this action unfolds. We strongly encourage you to read the full Covington & Burling article.